Sunday, December 27, 2009

Our greatest glory is not in never falling
but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius




My car buried under the snow, it took me two hours to get out, since our snow-blower broke!


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!


Well the clock is ticking, and Miss America is now only 3 weeks away. I know I say this a lot, but I really can't believe how fast time is going. I am getting so excited, but first my send off party is coming this weekend in Atlantic City!!!

We've been busy planning, and I am just so excited to be spending the evening with my family and friends celebrating this once in a lifetime opportunity! Slowly everything is coming together, and everything for Miss America is moving along! So now it's time to enjoy the ride!

Onto some adventures, on December 15th I was the guest speaker at Scotch Plains High School during their physical education classes. I had a wonderful time meeting with the students, and speaking to them about my platform, encouraging them to take advantage of the many opportunities that are available to them and living healthier lifestyles. I even sang some arias for them because they were so excited to hear me sing.


Speaking to the Students


They were so much fun to meet!


Discussing Sports Broadcasting with a student


Singing an aria


Crowning Maryann, one of the gym teachers!

Later on that evening I was honored by the Scotch Plains Town Council with a Proclamation, and they named December 2009 "Ashley Shaffer Month" in honor of me and my quest for the Miss America crown. I was thrilled to be honored, especially since I had never had an entire month in my honor!

with Michael, the owner of Maria's Restaurant in Scotch Plains, great food!

Receiving the proclamation!

Unfortunately, the other events that I had for December were canceled on December 19th because of the Nor'easter that came and dumped almost 30" of snow in my area. It took us about 2 hours to dig out our cars,

I think I remember talking about an event I attended in NYC in November where I met Susan Lucci...Well, I finally have pictures! As you can tell, she is so tiny and she just celebrated her 62nd birthday last week! So Happy Belated Birthday Susan!


With Susan at the Columbus Citizens Foundation


I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday season, and got everything they asked for! I was so thankful and so blessed this year with my family and friends, and I hope everyone was as well. I was given a lot of lovely gifts, but I think my favorite gift this year was my Homedics Memory Foam Orthopedic Pillow. You know you are getting old when...

Now we are in party mode, and moving full speed ahead! We have so many things to accomplish this week, so it will be busy, but I can't wait to share all the photos from my wonderful evening!

I hope that everyone has a Happy, healthy and safe New Year!!

Health and Happiness 'til next time!

No comments: