Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Calm before the Storm


Emma (Barb, Miss Salem County ED's daughter) my new fan!


The end of summer. For some it means moving back to college, beginning a new grade or even in a new school completely. For Miss New Jersey, it means even more time at voice lessons, endless hours at the gym, and my head completely engulfed by interview preparations. For Ashley Shaffer, however, it also means, the beginning of FOOTBALL SEASON!!! WOO!!!


Yes, I'm so excited for College Game Day and Sunday Football (wait til November when College Basketball starts, I get worse!) So even though my preparations for Miss America will be consuming my time and focus, at least I have football to help me get away, now that I will no longer have the beach!

This past week was the calm before the storm. I enjoyed my final day at the beach, as well as the last cup of Ice Cream (even though, I hardly ever eat Ice Cream, I figured I would treat myself one last time to celebrate the end of the summer season). But my duties as Miss New Jersey certainly continued, Miss New Jersey never gets a vacation! Haha!

First, Miss New Jersey wouldn't be here without her great volunteers! A HUGE thank you goes out to Joan Lucas! She has been instrumental in helping me get some gifts for the golf outing, and she always spoils me with such great gifts! Thank you so much Joan for all of your love, encouragement, and generosity!

Also, Silvia and Lou, you know how much I love the two of you for always being so supportive of me and my dreams! Thank you for the lovely dresses again, and thank you for the love not only that you show me, but to each of the young women who enter this organization!!

Wednesday I interviewed with the wonderful Gary Gellman, and "Let's Talk." It was a great interview, and he might be able to get me to sing for the Giants during the football season, which would be the ultimate dream come true! Once I find out more information about air-time I will pass it along!

I also attended the Miss Allstate pageant on Saturday night. Brittany and Joan once again put on a great pageant! I was able to meet Mr. Delaware 2008, Chris Saltalamacchio and Miss Kent County 2009, Julie Fuller from Delaware who were both so nice and fun! My heartfelt congratulations goes out to Ashleigh Udalovas being crowned Miss Allstate 2010! Also, great job to all the contestants, you were all so intelligent and talented, please continue to compete because this organization will help you gain more than you can ever ask for!

Ashleigh Udalovas, Miss Allstate 2010

To the talented and beautiful and always Miss Allstate 2009, Jackie Mercandetti, I wish you all the best in the future! It was such a pleasure to share the Miss NJ stage with a fellow Monmouth County girl! I have no doubt that your talent and passion for the Broadway stage will carry you very far!


Georgi DiMaria, my "sister" and Miss New Jersey 2006

BEFORE I FORGET, a huge shout out to Cadet Sergeant Gavin Kent White for inviting me to his 500 days ball in January. I leave 3 days before for Miss America, but I wanted to thank him publicly for the invitation! I'm so honored and flattered that he would ask me to attend! Thank you for you service to our country!

Don't forget about my golf outing on September 23rd! We are doing very well, but we definitely could use some more Golfers! We hope that we can get more support for the wonderful charities!! Thank you for all of your support thus far!

That's it for now! Til next time!

No comments: