Sunday, September 6, 2009

Don't let go...


Me trying to be elegant...Thank you Richard :-)

After this weekend, and being a part of my best friend's wedding, I had to comment on the one thing that happened all weekend...

One of the funniest things I have encountered as Miss New Jersey, is that fact that when people first meet you, they think you are this weird alien from outer space. People have so many misconceptions about "beauty queens" because for them, it's not everyday that someone gets to meet a Miss State. It's almost as if to them, you aren't a real person, which I think is hysterical because as soon as the crown is off my head, I'm just like everyone else again. It's like the crown has magical transformation powers.

Trust me, I'm real. (I've even had a little girl stroke my hand to make sure I was real) I make mistakes, quite frequently actually. I also get cranky and mean sometimes. Yes, I eat. No, I don't throw up after I eat. No, I don't have nude photos. No, I haven't had plastic surgery. Yes, we really do use butt glue. Yes, my teeth are real. Yes, we are allowed to have boyfriends. Yes, I am single. No, I'm not interested. (This particular group of answers usually comes from creepy old men, and unfortunately you have to always smile and nod) Yes, I know Miss CA! No...not Carrie Prejean. (Thank you Carrie Prejean for ruining feathers for me, I will never wear them now!) But, I really pride myself in being me. I'm not your "typical" girl/beauty queen, and I'm fine with that. I don't want to be like everyone else :-)


Before every photo session with Richard, he always takes a test picture with my rollers in, so flattering! :-P

Anyway, getting back to the wedding. It was such a great two days to spend with my closest friends. See, my friends are my world because they have been there throughout college, and there are six girls in particular that I lived with for four years, so when I get to see them, I'm finally in my element. I promised myself I wouldn't cry, but I knew I would because I'm such a big baby. But I just kept thinking about all the fun Kate and I had when we were roommates in I1.

The ladies of I1
(LtoR: Me, Kate, Rachel and Shannon)

The rehearsal went very well, I got chills practicing and watching Kate walk down the aisle with her Dad. Kate presented the bridesmaids with these absolutely beautiful Sterling Silver Tiffany's bracelets. We were so ecstatic to receive them, we were just so happy to be there to celebrate with Kate and Steve. Friday night, neither myself or Rachel slept. I don't know if I had so much on my mind, or if it was the ridiculously uncomfortable and noisy pull out bed. But we were up bright and early the next morning to get our hair done.


Myself, Rachel, and Kate at the rehearsal dinner

Kate was unbelievably calm the entire time. But I guess I would rather her be that way, because if you know you are happy and with the right person, your wedding day shouldn't be stressful. On Saturday morning, it was like there was a new woman standing in front of me. I was totally fine, even with her putting on the dress, I didn't cry! Of course, I didn't have time too, but Kate looked like a princess. She was glowing! It was the most surreal experience to watch this friend of mine, take one of the biggest steps in her life. I don't know if I can really explain it, but there was all this symbolism and it was as if, everything was happening the way it was supposed to.


This picture says it all...


Kate and Steve dancing their first dance

At the church we were getting her veil on, and I was helping to fix it. As soon as I looked up at her, I began to sob like a child. The veil made it all real at that point. When she walked down the aisle with her father, I completely lost it. But she just looked wonderful! We danced the afternoon away together, and got to see all my close friends who I haven't seen in months! At the end we saw the lovely couple off on their honeymoon to the Mediterranean. We continued to party with Kate's entire family, until Rachel and I headed back off to CT for the night. I don't think we could have asked for a more perfect day!

Marist girls!
(LtoR: Maryellen, Jill, Jen, me, Kate, Rachel and Shannon)


the ever lovable, and fabulous Big Brother, Waz! Love you, Bro!


Me and one of my greatest friends, Mark

But it made me realize how fast life goes by, and now we are all growing up. So I think it's fitting that I insert a song that described this weekend perfectly...

Don’t let go
Hold onto every moment
Always know
Hold onto every moment that You can

1 comment:

Miss Liberty Pageant- MAO, NJ said...

love the roller look - and your willingness to post that is why i love you. i'm thinking that is your evening gown up-do for Miss A!!!