Sunday, September 13, 2009

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring --Oscar Wilde

Wheew! What a week it has been! I have so many exciting things to tell you! But first, I wanted to Congratulate Katie Hope for a job well done at the National Sweetheart pageant. From the pictures I saw, she looked beautiful, and made NJ so proud! We know that she is a true Sweetheart!

I'm so excited to announce that I've been diligently working to re-create my coloring book "Harry the Healthy Horse," which will be used throughout my lessons with my younger students. A very good friend of mine agreed to completely re-design "Harry" and some of the scenes. He is a fabulous artist, and I'm so excited to implement this in my curriculum. Also, I'm in the beginning stages of my Miss NJ "Healthy Recipes" Cookbook, which I'm hoping to sell to raise money for the Children's Miracle Network! Stay tuned for details!

My week began at the 40-74 Magazine Photo shoot on Wednesday. The photographer was so much fun, and they made me feel like a queen! I can't wait to see the final product in the November issue of 40-74 magazine in the "Passions" section of the magazine! From what I'm told, they are basing my spread on the Bruce Springsteen "Welcome to Asbury Park" Album Cover!

Setting up the Shot

Reviewing the shots with the Editor

Later that night I met with the Hyacinth Foundation to discuss my appearance at their AIDS Foundation Gala in November. It is going to be a great night, and I'm looking forward to performing with their live band! The next day I was on my way to my voice lessons in NYC and other preparations for Miss A.

Friday I was on my way in the monsoon weather to CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia), with Sally holding on for dear life in the passenger's seat. We arrived safely, even though my GPS was no help whatsoever! (When you are by the hospital, it's a complete maze because of it's enormity!) Once there, I enjoyed the afternoon at the CMN Radiothon with Miss PA and Miss DE, who are always great to be with! We decorated crowns, signed TONS of autographs, met the President of the Hospital, Dr. Altschuler, and Dr. Phil! (Yes, he does wear makeup!!)

Shaking Dr. Phil's Hand! (He was so excited to take a picture with us!)

He wanted to meet us! (we felt so honored!)

Decorating crowns

President and CEO, Dr. Altschuler

Working with the children of CMN is always such a humbling experience. They are some of the most resilient young people, no matter how much pain they were in. The experience reminds me why I am there, and to continue to fight for their cause. A young girl named Karena was in so much pain, but wanted to be a part of the festivities and meet Miss NJ so bad, she fought through it. Another young boy was waiting for a heart transplant and he just had the biggest smile on my face, and jumped for joy when he took a picture with us.

Saturday I was off to begin party planning! I could not believe that this was going to be for my send-off to Miss America! It blew my mind! Mark it on your calendars, January 2, 2010 at the Sheraton, Atlantic City!!! I can't spill too many details, but I can say that we are going to DANCE the night away!!

Finally on Sunday I attend Millstone Day, which is my hometown's fair. I was treated to first class treatment the minute I arrived, I felt so honored! Everyone from the town was ecstatic to meet me, and made me feel so loved! They surprised me with the Mayor's Award, and my Assemblywoman presented me with a State of New Jersey Proclamation from our State Senators! I was truly speechless, and cannot even begin to describe what that meant to me!

Owner of Frogbridge Day Camp

One of the Millstone Department of Agriculture Representatives

Receiving the Mayor's Award for Outstanding Service
Receiving the Proclamation from the State of New Jersey!

It certainly is not an easy job being Miss New Jersey, and I'm constantly faced with new obstacles each day. I remind myself each day of who I represent, and how I'm blessed with so many people who provide me with strength and love. Things will only get more challenging, so I appreciate those who have expressed their support and genuine love. This helps to keep me grounded, and live each day to the fullest, because life is going by way too fast!!

Now to catching up on some zzzZZzzz's...Love you all!

No comments: